Saturday 5 July 2014

Wester Ross coastal route

Northern emerald. A poor photo I know, better to follow when I get home and download my photos.

Bridge of Grudie

Oblong leaved sundew.

An Teallach

Slioch and Loch Maree

Beinn Eighe

Liathach


Black throated diver 2 summer plumage on loch near Poolewe
Ring ouzel 1 male near Dundonnell
Cuckoo 1 near Dundon null

Dragonflies:
Northern emerald; at least 10 mainly at Bridge of Grudie (Loch Maree) but also a few on Beinn Eighe woodland walk
Golden ringed dragonfly a few
Common hawker a few

A beautiful day in Wester Ross, we followed the coast through Aultbea, Poolewe and Gairloch, before heading inland along Loch Maree and Beinn Eighe, and finally having a brief look at Liathach in Torridon.
Birds were slightly disappointing, as usual I struggled with eagles, and there were fewer divers than I expected, though good views of summer plumage black throats are always special.
Dragonflies were good, with my first ever northern emeralds, surprisingly perhaps since I've been to loch Maree on many occasions in the past, but never during the flight period, and I'd never even heard I Bridge of Grudie until yesterday!
Oh well, it's always good to find new places and to leave something to investigate in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment