Wednesday 26 March 2014

A few holiday snaps from Wiltshire


My journey today took me right past Stonehenge. I don't care how touristy it may seem at times (and it was difficult to get a photo with nobody on), Stonehenge is an awesome sight. I don't want to turn all druid on you, but it really makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I see it. A very special place, well deserving of its World Heritage status.


I was delighted to find this Snake's Head Fritillary growing in a field in Wiltshire. This is a rare species in the UK which is commonest in Wiltshire. The significance of this species is that it means that the grassland it grows in is community type MG4 which is unimproved grassland, a rare community type in the UK. Virtually all grasslands in the UK have been "improved" in some way, either by adding lots of nutrients or by over grazing. Unimproved grassland is untouched by nutrients or heavy grazing.


Roe Deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment