Tuesday 25 February 2014

Three woodpeckers at Moore, plus a Kite

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker 2 (m&f)
Green Woodpecker 1
Great Spotted Woodpecker 1
Red Kite 1 on outskirts of Moore village

Year 154 (Lesser Spotted Woodpecker)

At last! It was great to see all three species of woodpecker at Moore at my 8th attempt this year. They were all in the small wood to the left of Lapwing lane when walking from the car park (i.e. where the lesser peckers were mainly seen last spring). The male and female lessers were chasing each other around for a while, at quite close range, but constantly on the move, and then later I saw them feeding high up in the trees. I also heard them drumming.

The Red Kite was an unexpected bonus as I left Moore village. I just had time to stop the car, get my camera out and get one shot before it disappeared over the trees.


Green Woodpecker.


Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Quite difficult to photograph because they were constantly on the move and there was always a branch in the way for the camera to focus on.


Red Kite.

No comments:

Post a Comment