Friday 28 February 2014

Leighton Moss

Bearded Tit 2 (male and female)
Cetti's Warbler 1 singing from the Public Causeway
Long-tailed Duck 1 from Lower Hide
Marsh Harrier 1
Water Rail 10+ heard only

Year 156 (Bearded Tit, Cetti's Warbler). At the end of February last year I was on 138.

I was walking along the causeway when I spotted the Bearded Tits in a bush right alongside the path. They didn't call and were completely silent. If they had been 2m further into the reeds I would have walked past them and not known they were there. Fortunately they were completely unconcerned by my presence, being preoccupied with each other, the male displayed to the female by fanning his tail and fluttering his wings. I've never seen Bearded Tits so well, and certainly never experienced this type of behaviour before. 

The reedbeds were alive with the song of Reed Buntings and the squeals of Water Rails, whilst in the woodland Wrens and Robins were in full song. It was a real pleasure to be at Leighton Moss on such a perfect morning!


Male and female Bearded Tit. What a great sighting!




The Public Causeway at dawn. It was the perfect weather to be at Leighton Moss.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. I've got a new camera by the way, it's a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 with a 24x optical zoom. I think it's making a big difference. The first photos I took with it were the Red-flanked Bluetail from a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't matter how good the camera is though, you need a bit of luck, and today I got lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask you had you got a new camera! I'd noticed that you've got some cracking photos recently.

    Damian

    ReplyDelete