Saturday 18 May 2013

Little Ringed Plover, Eccleston Mere

I was at the mere for 5am today, in the hope of seeing something good following the heavy overnight rain. It was worth the effort! On the grass just past the gate, a Little Ringed Plover, my first at the mere. Interestingly, yesterday I met a fellow birder who told me that he had seen a LRP in exactly the same place on Wednesday, so presumably this is the same bird returned.

Little Ringed Plover 1
Pink-footed Goose 1
Gadwall 2 (male and female)
Swift 40
Swallow 50
House Martin 40
Kingfisher 1

Eccleston Mere life list 163, Eccleston Mere 2013 list 100.


Little Ringed Plover. I hope it doesn't get bullied by that Canada Goose chick!



I spent some time this evening looking for signs of White-letter Hairstreak larvae on the Wych Elm, but without success. However, I can obviously only see the lower branches of the tree, and I'm not sure if a species which spends much of it's time in the canopy would lay eggs so low down.

No comments:

Post a Comment