Saturday 18 May 2013

Horrock's Flash, Wigan

Black-necked Grebe 2
Scaup 1 male
Common Tern 11
Reed Warblers
Sedge Warblers

Year 194 (Scaup, BNG)

I called in at Horrock's Flash in Wigan to see a drake Scaup which has been present for a few days. While I was there I "found" two Black-necked Grebes, which were a nice year tick bonus! Turns out that they had really been found this morning, but I didn't know that at the time so I'm claiming them as self found!


Scaup.


Black-necked Grebes. It was dull and drizzly and not the greatest day for viewing and even worse for photography, but summer plumage Black-necked Grebes are always very special. Fantastic birds!


Scaup and Black-necked Grebe join a long and growing list of quality birds I've seen at Horrock's Flash over the years, including Great White Egret, White-winged Black Tern, Ring-necked Duck and Green-winged Teal. It's even more impressive if you include the adjacent  Flashes of Scotsmans and Pearsons, where I've seen River Warbler, Cetti's Warbler and Bittern. What would I give for habitat like this at Eccleston Mere!



No comments:

Post a Comment