Friday 8 March 2013

Eccleston Mere

Waxwing 25 in the tall Poplar tree in Burrows Lane next to yacht club car park.
Water Rail 1 in ditch in SW corner
Tufted Duck 19 (13 males, 6 females)
Grey Wagtail 1
Pied Wagtail 8
Black-headed Gull 300
Goldcrest 6+ including 2 singing males.

This really has been an exceptional winter for Waxwings. Having seen them earlier today in Taylor Park I was just wondering if they might have flown over Eccleston Mere, when suddenly I heard them calling from the tall Poplar tree next to the yacht club car park. They appeared to be eating buds (I've seen them eat Sycamore buds in the past). I watched them for about 10 minutes, before they flew off over the there mere and away towards Taylor Park. I assume that they were the same birds as seen earlier, though  when I was at Pennington Flash this morning I was told of a flock of 66 in Clock Face as recently as Tuesday this week, so perhaps they have split into smaller flocks and there is more than one flock in the area at the moment. Great to get them on my Eccleston Mere list, I don't get that many new additions these days. I saw these birds at 15:15.


Waxwings, my 162nd species at Eccleston Mere.

No comments:

Post a Comment