Saturday 30 March 2013

Eccleston Mere - The return of a few old friends

Water Rail 2 (1 in Alder Carr, 1 in ditch about 50 yards away, both showing well)
Willow Tit 1
Chiffchaff 4 (2 singing, 2 calling)
Great spotted Woodpecker 4 drumming
Teal 2
Goldeneye 1 female
Gadwall 3 (2 males, 1 female)
Tufted Duck 15
Kingfisher 1
Siskin 2

A wonderful day at the mere, a beautiful warm sunny day. Both Water Rails were seen very well. The first was walking along the ditch away from the south west corner, and I watched it for about a minute, following it along the ditch. The second was about 2 minutes later, and was in full view for 15 seconds under the Alder Carr.

In the south east corner I came across a Willow Tit. I'd started to get a little worried about the species having not seen one at the mere for a few weeks, so this was a very welcome reunion!

In the woods at the far end of the stream two woodpeckers were drumming at each other!


This bat was flying in full sunlight at 15:45. From the size, I think it's probably a pipistrelle sp, though it was flying over the water and Daubenton's Bat is common at the mere. Daubenton's is a typical species of still water. I assume that the bat had emerged from hibernation in the warm sunlight and decided to feed while it had the opportunity. Probably a good idea, it's still well below freezing at night! I never would have believed that I would be able to capture such a good photo of a flying bat with my camera!


A brief video of the bat.

No comments:

Post a Comment