Sunday 20 April 2014

Blacktoft Sands, Humber Estuary

I called in at RSPB Blacktoft Sands on the Humber Estuary today. I didn't see all that much, the highlights being about 10 Avocets and a couple of Marsh Harriers, but it was nice to renew my acquaintance with the place. In years gone by I've seen two firsts for Britain at Blacktoft, Hudsonian Godwit (1983) and Red-necked Stint (1986). I'm not sure that there has been another Hudsonian Godwit since the first, and Red-necked Stint is certainly still in single figures and has not occurred for years. Both are high up on my "blockers" list!


Avocets mating. The female adopted this position and held it for a minute or two while the male played it cool and preened and fed. Eventually though he got the message.......

No comments:

Post a Comment