Thursday 14 February 2013

Slavs and tysties

Early morning I had a quick drive over to Holyhead. First stop was Llyn Penrhyn near RAF Valley in the hope of seeing the long staying Long-tailed Duck. There was no sign of this bird, but there was about 100 Shoveler and 50 Pochard.

Next I headed over to Beddmanarch Bay, and almost immediately picked out a couple of Slavonian Grebes in amongst the displaying male Goldeneyes. Then I had a scan around the bay and counted 107 Pale-bellied Brent Geese, at least 400 Bar-tailed Godwits, 100 Curlew and a few Wigeon.

Finally I went to Holyhead harbour in the hope of seeing Black Guillemots (in Shetland known as tysties). I failed to see any in the new harbour, but there were at least 7 in the old harbour.

Later in the day I called in at Cemlyn Bay and saw a couple of Gannets and a Red-throated Diver.

Year 132


Harbours are great places to photograph, they're always colourful yet industrial looking. Holyhead harbour is the best place in the UK outside Scotland for seeing Black Guillemots. I love this photo of two tysties dwarfed by the harbour!


Black Guillemot and Beddmanarch Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment