Friday 16 November 2012

Eccleston Mere

Looking out of the window now, it's hard to believe what a lovely pastel coloured morning it was earlier today. I think that the weather this autumn has been almost perfect, plenty of rain yes, but also nice bright sunny days to raise my spirits, and none of those long dull, drizzley periods we often get.

It was much better for birds today, waterbirds included 7 Tufted Ducks, 2 male Pochard, 2 Little Grebes and 2 adult Mute Swans. Finches included 40 Goldfinches, 3 Bullfinches and 2 Siskins. Star bird was a Water Rail in the Alder Carr in the south west corner. Just a brief view today as it legged it for cover, but nice to see the little fella back. Hopefully it will stick around all winter.



Woodpigeons are generally unappreciated, but when you get a good look at a pristine adult, they're actually quite smart looking birds. This particular individual which was having a wash in the mere set my pulse racing for a few seconds, before I got my bins onto it!

Another photo of the as yet unidentified toadstool in the south west corner. I've included this today because it was taken without the flash, and therefore shows it's more natural colour. I'm sure that it must be a pretty common species, I just need to spend a bit less time on the blog, and a bit more time looking at my books....

No comments:

Post a Comment