Friday 19 October 2012

Eccleston Mere

Blackcap 2 male and female
Chiffchaff 1
Willow Tit 1
Coal Tit 1
Nuthatch 1
Treecreeper 1
Goldcrest 5
Siskin 5
Goldfinch 80
Little Grebe 1 juv.
Peregrine 1
Buzzard 1
Reed Bunting 1
Redwing 10

Very small numbers of Redwings for the time of year, and amazingly I've not seen a single Fieldfare yet this autumn. By comparison, on the 14th October 2011, I counted an estimated 1200 Fieldfares and 2200 Redwings over Billinge Hill (as reported here), and on 13th October 2011 I had 87 Fieldfares over my house. I don't think I've heard of any Fieldfares anywhere in the North West yet, certainly not in any numbers.

Also today, 1 Southern Hawker dragonfly in the SE corner.


Southern Hawker


Southern Hawker is one of three species which are superficially very similar, the others being Common and Migrant Hawker. Here is my simple guide to these three species.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Colin. I've been looking out for them in the dead woods so perhaps that's where I'm going wrong. I know the call but don't hear high frequencies very well - that's my excuse anyway!

    ReplyDelete