Tuesday 26 June 2012

Wensleydale and Swaledale

I've had my eyes opened to the wonders of the Yorkshire Dales over the past few weeks. I've always loved the place, but mainly from a botanical point of view, and I always thought the Dales to be rather tame when compared to other upland areas.

However, the Upland Breeding Bird Survey has shown me new places that I never knew existed above the limestone outcrops. There are grouse moors here which are as remote as anywhere in England, and the birds are every bit as impressive as the plants.

Today I walked over moorland around Wensleydale, and the air was constantly full of the plaintive calls of Golden Plover, the bubbling of Curlews, the drumming of Snipe and the calls of Lapwing. I bet that I saw at least 50 Golden Plover on territory today, it was barely possible to escape their calls. Other highlights included Short-eared Owl, Merlin and two Ring Ouzels.

In the evening I took a stroll to the limestone cliffs at Woodhall Greets, above Askrigg. It was the best part of the day, sunny, warm and calm, and the views were glorious, and still the Golden Plover called!


The grouse moors are very difficult terrain to cross, with large peat hags and deep, wide, sphagnum pools.


Up here it's all about quality rather than quantity, and it's one of the best areas in the UK for breeding Golden Plover.


Two views of Wensleydale.


And two views of Swaledale.


Spotted Flycatcher having a bath and a juvenile Wheatear. See you on Billinge Hill in the autumn?


Water Aven, a common roadside plant, and one of my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment