Saturday 16 June 2012

Birds of the Ordesa

Most of the time I was looking at the ground or the scenary, and in truth I did find the birding quite difficult. I wouldn't say that it was an easy place to bird. However, after an intial struggle, we did eventually see Lammergeier, the number one species on my and most other birders wish list. Four were in the Valle de Bujaruelo adjacent to Ordesa, but most spectacularly, two adults flew right over our heads as we approached the summit of Punta Acuta. They were probably only about the height of a two storey house above us. I suppose I could have taken a photo, but I was more interested in savouring the moment than messing about with the camera.

Other birding highlights included Black Woodpecker, a few Egyptian Vultures, lots of Griffon Vultures, several Black Kites, Ortolan Bunting, Golden Eagle, Citril Finches, Red-backed Shrike, Bonelli's Warblers, Bonelli's Eagle, Firecrests, Crag Martins, Alpine Swifts, Crossbills, Serins, Cirl Buntings, Alpine Choughs and Black Redstarts. Although we got to over 2200m, I don't think that we got high enough for Snow Finch and didn't get lucky with Alpine Accentor. As for Wallcreeper, well I had a look at several likely looking places, but Ordesa is a huge canyon with immense cliffs, and given that I spent a lot more time looking at the ground than at the cliffs it was always going to be a longshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment