Sunday 24 June 2012

Llangollen

Today we had a walk to Creigiau Eglwyseg, the limestone outcrop above Llangollen. There were a few singing Garden Warblers, a family party of Redstarts, a Stonechat and a couple of Ravens.


There are hundreds of different species of hawkweed in the UK, and their identification is something which I have not studied. However, I do know that Welsh Hawkweed Hieracium cambricum is present on Creigiau Eglwyseg, one of it's very few localities in the UK, and that purple blotches on the leaves are a good feature of the species. Much easier to identify, Honeysuckle is now in full flower.


Creigiau Eglwyseg and the swollen River Dee at Llangollen.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Colin,i photographed a yellow wagtail yesterday after originally thinking it was just a very clean,colourful grey wagtail.How common are these birds?And is there anywhere local to give the best sightings of spotted flycatchers.I used to see them regularly in Bispham wood and had one in my garden back in the 80's but havent seen any for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, where did you photograph the Yellow Wagtail? They are very scarce birds in St Helens these days, they used to breed around Rainford and may still do in very small numbers, but they are in rapid decline everywhere these days I'm affraid. Likewise Spotted Flycatcher. I expect to see one or two in St Helens every year, usually on migration, but it's imposssible for me to say where you might see one, they're so hit and miss these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was in the fields at the back of Bispham Hall scout estate.I think the farmhouse was called 'mountain farm'.It was in a dung and slurry pile near to the farmhouse.I'd be grateful if you could confirm it please!username collydog2 on flickr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danny, I don't know much about the hawkweeds I'm affraid. Welsh Hawkweed apparently only occurs at about three sites in the UK (World??), all in North Wales, but how common it is at these sites I don't know. All I can say is there are plenty of plants which look like the photo here, with purple blotches on the leaves, which is a diagnosstic feature of the species, but I can't say if they are all Welsh Hawkeeds. There are over 400 species of hawkweed in the UK, and there is a recently published book devoted to them, "The Atlas of British and Irish Hawkweeds". Glad you caught up with the Little Swift. It's too good a bird to miss when it's so local.

    ReplyDelete