Wednesday 28 August 2013

Blithfield Reservoir

Osprey 2
Great crested grebe 70+
Common tern 1
Ringed plover 10

Year 229 (Osprey)

I really thought I was going to miss Osprey this year, but travelling home from Hampshire this afternoon, a last minute decision to leave the M6 at junction T4 and take a "short cut" across country just for a break from congested motorway driving, led me to Blithfield Reservoir in Staffordshire. I don't have a permit, but Newton Hurst road  goes right past Tad Bay where two Ospreys have spent the past four or five days. I immediately saw one bird sitting in a dead tree, and after about 10 minutes a second bird flew over carrying a fish. Then I continued on my way and rejoined the M6 at junction 16, with the congestion far behind. Not a bad short cut, and better than a service station break!

No comments:

Post a Comment