Monday 14 January 2013

Snow on Anglesey

It was a relatively mild day on Anglesey today compared to many other parts of the country. It was 7'C when I arrived at 10am, and though we did have a few heavy hail showers, most of the time it was dry and virtually windless.

I found two Snow Buntings on the beach, whilst out at sea there were over 60 Red-throated Divers including an impressive flock of 42 in flight. Also 1 Great northern Diver, about 100 Common Scoter and a single adult Gannet. I didn't realise that Gannets could be seen off Anglesey in January, and this must be my earliest ever.

Waders included 4 Greenshank, about 400 Dunlin and lots of Redshanks, Oystercatchers and Curlew. Wildfowl were represented by 5 Pale-bellied Brent Geese, about 150 Wigeon and a few Teal and Shelduck.

I'm not keeping a year list, but if I was I'd be on 81.




Snow Bunting. Beautiful, confiding birds, they see so few Humans that they can be incredibly tame, but I've never seen one like this before. It was so close I couldn't focus on it without using macro! I've had some great experiences with this species, I've seen them singing on the summit of a 4000ft mountain in the Cairngorms, and I once found a flock of nearly 2000 between Wick and John 0'Groats at Christmas 1985. A bit like Waxwings, it's always a good day when you see a Snow Bunting!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Damian, I couldn't really fail they were so tame :-)

    ReplyDelete