Saturday 12 January 2013

Eccleston Mere

Jack Snipe 1
Snipe 16
Lesser Redpoll 40
Siskin 30
Goldfinch 60
Bullfinch 1
Fieldfare 50
Redwing 5
Tufted Duck 5
Grey Wagtail 1

Local patch birding is a real joy when it's like this, I can't think of anywhere I'd prefer to go at the moment. To see birds of the quality I have seen at Eccleston Mere over the past few weeks, only a mile from my house, is fabulous. There is such a great variety of habitat, mere, fen, wet woodland, alder Carr, marshy grassland, mixed woodland, arable and manicured golf course, it's got a lot going for it. If I could find a way of creating a wader scrape, I wouldn't need to go anywhere else, except perhaps the coast and the mountains! Another great view of the Jack Snipe, I may already have seen my bird of the year 2013.......


Finches are wonderful birds, I don't know which is my favourite. These Siskins take some beating I reckon, but then again the dainty Redpolls are not bad either, and nor are the more gaudy Goldfinches. Perhaps it's best just to admire the whole flock on a nice sunny day like today.


The ground is saturated at the moment, which probably helps explain the relatively large numbers of Snipe. The Alder carr is the prefered habitat of the Water Rail this winter, but I didn't see it today despite waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, unfortunately I've had a key for so long that I'm not sure where you get them from these days. I suggest that the best bet is to go when the yacht club are there one Sunday morning and ask them. If I see them myself I'll ask and let you know. We may have to wait a few weeks though, I don't see them much in winter. Sorry that your comments have not been getting through, I'm not sure what is going on with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no wardens office by the way.

    ReplyDelete