Saturday 22 December 2012

Leighton Moss

I saved an apple from my lunch to eat on the way to the public hide. Just as I went to put it to my mouth, this Robin came and landed on it! I was a bit startled, and the Robin flew off and landed on a fence post, so I held out the apple and the Robin flew back and started eating it. It did this about four times, before it spotted a juicy worm in the grass and reverted to normal. Amazing.


I thought you were supposed to be a meat eater??


Also at Leighton Moss today, a fantastic, close view of a male Bearded Tit on the causeway, two Marsh Harriers and several Water Rails heard.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Colin,

    There was an incredibly tame Robin at Leighton Moss year in the Autumn of 2011 often seen near the path to the Tim Jackson and Grisedale Hides. I managed to get some great photographs of it. Maybe its the same one!
    It was mentioned quite a bit on the RSPB Leighton Moss website last year.

    Best wishes,

    Simon Skidmore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon, I've seen tame Robins before at Leighton Moss, there was one a few years back which used to come into one of the hides and sit next to you. They are amazing birds, and no wonder people like them so much.

    ReplyDelete