Thursday 13 September 2012

Leach's Storm Petrel, Pennington Flash

In July 1995 I saw an amazing, once in a lifetime sight, a Leach's Storm Petrel on Pennington Flash. Today it became a twice in a lifetime event, with the news that another had been found on the flash at 9:30am. I decided to wait until this evening before I went to see it, because I was due in Lowton at 7:15pm anyway, and it seemed a waste of petrol to go there twice in a day.

I arrived at the flash at 6:05pm, had great views of the bird in flight, in excellent sunlight. It was constantly mobbed by the local Black-headed Gulls, until at 6:40pm it seemed to decide that enough was enough, gained height and headed off over the trees to the south of the flash, never to be seen again! One of my best ever views of Leach's Storm Petrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment