Saturday 15 September 2012

Bats at Eccleston Mere

Inspired by the horseshoe bats I saw in Pembrokeshire last week, I took my bat detector to Eccleston Mere this evening to see what I could find. First up, flying along the footpath on the western shore of the mere, at least 2 Noctule bats, with their very distinctive call at 20kHz. Then just a little further on I came across the first Daubenton's bat, on 50kHz. I think these are possibly my favourite species of bat, because of their habit of feeding low over the water. I saw about 10 in total at various points around the mere, and at times it almost looked like some were picking insects off the surface of the water. Finally, the third species of bat I found today was Common Pipistrelle on 45kHz. These were feeding around the trees, mainly at the southern end of the mere.

Birds this evening included a calling Tawny Owl, 2 Mute Swans, 1 Kingfisher and 8 Tufted Ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment