Sunday 16 October 2011

Billinge Hill - Richard's Pipit

Richard's Pipit 1 flew calling over horse paddocks at 8am. Probable reported again at 11am.
Fieldfare 50
Redwing 50

The day started very dull, misty and drizzley, and there seemed very little bird activity when I arrived at 8am. However, when I reached the horse padddocks, my attention was immediately drawn to a bird flying over with a familiar sounding call, which I couldn't quite place at first. A harsh, House Sparrow like "pshee". Then I saw it, a large looking pipit with a longish tail, and I realised why the call was so familiar. I'd heard it yesterday on Hilbre island, and it belonged to a Richard's Pipit! Unfortunately it disappeared into the mist. However later I received a text from a friend who told me that he had seen and heard what was presumably the same bird flying SW over Brownlow Wood. I should be feeling great about this, but I'm not because I've just been told that they caught a Red-flanked Bluetail on Hilbre today. Why couldn't it have been there yesterday??? Never happy I suppose........

No comments:

Post a Comment