Friday 27 December 2013

Blurry pipit at Denhall Lane

American buff-bellied pipit 1
Wheatear (northern) 1
Meadow pipit 40
Stonechat 2 (m & f)

It was difficult enough to stand up in the gale force south-westerly wind at Denhall Lane, let alone find a buff-bellied pipit in amongst all of the meadow pipits. My plan was to sit in the car and wait for the bird to come to me, but on arrival I spotted another birder who seemed to be intently watching something from the (private) road to Burton Point, so I abandoned my car and set off towards him. Good job I did, because he was watching the ABBP, and we had good views of the bird, though only through the binoculars, the scope being a definite non-starter in that wind. And they were the only sightings I had of the bird, I stayed until 12:30 and then headed home. There have been no further reports all afternoon.


Anthus rubescens (ssp. caligo???).......Nearly there, nearly there. I reckon if I go every day from now until the end of January I might just get one in focus. It's getting better though, and if I can get one with it's head in focus tomorrow I might just Photoshop it on to this one. Look at it this way though, this photo captures the atmosphere of today. It's a photo of the wind.... Not sure what the problem was on Christmas Day though. Probably just nervous excitement!

Yes I will be there again tomorrow, the forecast is for much lighter winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment