Thursday 24 May 2012

Eccleston Mere

Tree Sparrow 2
Gadwall 1 male
Oystercatcher 1
Whitethroat 5 singing
Lesser Redpoll 3 displaying
Kingfisher 1

When I first started visiting the mere about 25 years ago, I saw Tree Sparrows pretty regularly, but these days they're quite a rarity, and these are the first I have seen there since 2007. They're still in good numbers on Catchdale Moss, the Rainford Mosslands and Billinge Hill, but obviously something is wrong for them at the mere.

One of my favourite plants from this time of year, Wood Avens, growing on the eastern bank of the mere.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Colin.What would be a daytime flying moth,about 1/2 inch long, whitish with brown/grey markings and quite fast flying?I managed to photograph it at fir tree farm when it rested in some grass for about 30 seconds.When its wings were spread the markings were symmetrical and looked like an old man's face with no teeth and a prominent chin and long nose.It was like a mirror image on both wings!Then above the face,near the forehead was a black dot !Ive looked at a moth id site and the only one remotely similar is a green carpet moth but if it is this species it must be an old one because the green has faded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, I'm affraid I don't know the answer to that. I would need to see a photo. You could look at Shaded broad bar although that is not supposed to fly until late June.

    ReplyDelete