Thursday 12 April 2012

More New York park birds

All of these birds were pretty common park birds. They were all photographed in Central Park, except the kinglet and the junco which were photographed in Washington Square Park, Greenwich Village.


White-throated Sparrow, a very common bird in Central Park.



Red-tailed Hawk with prey. This is the equivelent of a Buzzard. It was eating it's prey about 20 feet above one of the busiest thoroughfares in Central Park. There were probably about 100 people just below it, either photographing it, walking past or jogging as I took the photo. Quite disinterested in the people, it just kept on eating. As you can see from the state of the prey, it would have been a very easy task for the hawk to fly with it's lunch to a more private location.


Ruby-crowned Kinglet, the US equivelant of the European Goldcrest. This was a lucky photograph, I didn't even know what the bird was when I took it, I was photographing juncos, saw a movement, snapped and realised that it was a kinglet, nicely framed in amongst the blossom!


Mourning Dove


Hermit Thrush. Here's another case in point of birds in New York being approachable. I've never seen Hermit Thrush anywhere before, but I'm told that they are quite shy and skulking birds. This bird was almost walking over my feet as I photographed something else, and when we moved down a few paces, it followed me. And it wasn't the only one, several Hermit Thrushes behaved in this was during our stay in the city. This bird was almost too close for decent photography, you can see my shadow creeping into the photo. I'd have preferred it if I could have stepped back a bit, but it just kept following me!



Dark-eyed Junco


Chipping Sparrow


Blue Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment