Wednesday 8 February 2012

Coue's Arctic Redpoll and Black Brant

I had an appointment in Norfolk on Thursday, so I decided to go a day early and stay over in order to get in a bit of birding on Wednesday. I started off at Titchwell, where I saw the long staying Coue's Arctic Redpoll, which was a new bird for me. Also at Titchwell, two drake Velvet Scoter just offshore, 4 Long-tailed Ducks and 3 Red-head Smew.

Next I called in at Wells-next-the-Sea, where the farmer had just very conveniently flushed the Dark-bellied Brent Goose flock off the fields and onto the harbour, allowing me to get great close up views of a Black Brant which was accompanying them

Finally I headed for Cley-next-the-Sea, which had a nice selection of birds, including another three Smew, but no sign of the long staying Western Sandpiper.


Wells harbour - spot the Black Brant. It is in the picture!


And here it is.


Note the more impressive neck collar which joins under the chin, and the bright, white flanks, compared to the accompanying Dark-bellied Brent.




I love Cley, it brings back so many happy memories and is so atmospheric!




The East Bank at Cley, one of the most famous birding walks in England.


Titchwell. Believe me, it was as cold as it looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment