Thursday 3 November 2011

Possible Pallid Harrier Ayrshire

On my way back from Largs to Glasgow, I saw from the train an unusual looking ring tailed type harrier quartering the reedbed adjacent to the track. I was delighted with this, and obviously immediately concluded that it was a ring tailed Hen Harrier.
However, unbelieveably, on returning home, I find that there has been a ring tailed Pallid Harrier in the same area. I can picture the bird in my mind now, and could easily conclude that it was the Pallid Harrier, it just didn't look right for Hen Harrier, but I didn't see enough on the bird to tick it as Pallid. Local birders have confirmed that the Pallid Harrier does wander into the area in which I saw the bird, but have also told me that Hen Harriers are present there as well. Very annoying, because I had my bike with me on the train, and could easily have stopped off and gone to look for the bird had I known it was there. Just one of those things I guess.....

No comments:

Post a Comment