Saturday 23 July 2011

A few flowers from St Helens

Sometimes you don't have to go very far to find some great flowers. Today I got the bike out and did a tour of the farmland north of St Helens, basically the area to the west of Rainford.
There's one really nice area of grassland, with Yellow Rattle, Common Centaury, Self-heal, Wild Panseys and some nice grasses, and most impressively, a small colony of about 100 Marsh Helleborines. This is the only site in St Helens I know of for this impressive orchid. I've also seen Bee Orchid here in the past, but I couldn't find any today. Perhaps they're already over.


Marsh Helleborine



Common Centaury (left) and Carex Flacca (right), Glaucous Sedge. This is one of the commonest sedges in Britain, but again this is the only site I know of in St Helens for the species. It must elsewhere, but obviously under recorded....


Peacock


Finged Water-Lily at Siding Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment