Sunday 25 July 2010

Lowther, Cumbria

We had a wonderful day at Lowther in Cumbria, a short but difficult bike ride, followed by a pleasant moorland walk and a nice meal in Pooley Bridge at the end of Ullswater.

Highlight of the day for me was the discovery of Grey Wagtail nest in the side of a bridge over the River Lowther. We watched as the adults repeatedly returned to feed the three hungry chicks. Later when we returned to the same spot, the chicks had left the nest and were on rocks in the river. Also on the river, two Dippers.


Grey Wagtail chicks.


Meadow Cranesbill at Pooley Bridge. One of my favourite flowers.


A slightly worst for wear Ringlet. Ok I admit it, it's dead, but it's the first I've ever seen so far north, so worth its place here.


Giant Bellflower, a first for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment