Saturday 10 October 2009

Hilbre Island

It's been a relatively quiet autumn on Hilbre following an excellent spring, but I'm never disppointed, because there is always something to see.

I set off from West kirby at just after 7am and it was still almost dark. I'd barely gone more than 100 yards across the beach when the heavens opened and within seconds I was soaked. However there were breaks in the cloud so I kept going undeterred and full of hope, and soon the rain stopped, and by the time I reached Hilbre the wind had almost dried me out.

This is peak migration time for Rock Pipits on Hilbre, a species I had never previously seen on the island and there have been birds present all week. Today we saw one, or possibly two birds at the north end of the island, and one of these was caught and ringed, the first ringed on the island for two years.

Other highlights today included a decent selection of ducks, with four Pintail, three Teal and 20 Wigeon. Six Pale-bellied Brent Geese were my first of the autumn, though there have been up to 20 in recent days.

By the time I left at 12:30 it had turned into a lovely warm day, and there were even butterflies flying, with Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell seen.



Rock Pipit


Kestrel

No comments:

Post a Comment