Saturday 19 September 2009

52 mile tour of SW Lancs on the bike

Today I decided to have a break from Hilbre and get on my bike. I left home at 9am and returned at 4pm, having completed my longest ever bike ride, 52.5 miles. There's no way I was taking my camera on such a long ride, so I only have a handful of camera phone pictures to record the event!

I set off down the Rainford bypass, went through Bikerstaffe and Aughton, and headed towards Halsall. Then I headed south for a short way until I reached Plex Moss lane, at which point I turned west towards Southport. There were about 500 Pink-footed Geese on Plex Moss, and a few Corn Buntings and Yellowhammers.

Next I arrived at the traffic lights at the end of Plex Moss lane, at the start of Southport Marine drive. I rode along the marine drive, until I reached the Birkdale roundabout. Here I abandoned the bike temporarily and had a walk along the edge of the saltmarsh. It was about an hour before a very high tide (9.74m) and thousands of waders were being pushed closer and closer by the rising tide. It's difficult to say exactly how many there were, because they stretched away into the distance, but the majority were Bar-tailed Godwits and Knot, with good numbers of Sanderling, Curlew, Dunlin and Ringed Plover. Most spectacular of all were the amazing Grey Plovers, many of which were still in full summer plumage, with jet black bellies, breast and faces, contrasting greatly with white head and neck and silvery back. A most beautiful bird, and what a shame it is stuck with the name Grey Plover! Silvery Plover, or Pied Plover would be better.

Shortly after leaving Birkdale, I arrived at Marshside, which seemed strangely quiet given the approaching tide. However I did count 15 Little Egrets and about 2000 Pink-footed Geese. Little Egrets have become so common these days that even 15 of them together is not unexpected.

From Marshside, I continued to head north and decided to try my luck at Banks Marsh. The ground was hard and I had no difficulty in cycling along the bank, until I reached the pools near Baxters farm. Here there were another 18 Little Egrets, and lots of waders, but many were too far out for my binoculars.

My final stop was Martin Mere. By the time I reached here, I had already completed 38 miles, so despite the fact there had been a Red-necked Phalarope yesterday, my initial interest was in a cup of tea and a scone! No sign of the Phalarope today, but lots of Pink-feet on and around the reserve, and perhaps the highlight was a white phase Gyr Falcon on display as part of the animal magic event. An awesome looking bird, it dwarfed a Kestrel on the next stand!


No comments:

Post a Comment