Friday 31 July 2009

Hilbre Island

A beautiful day of red sand and bright blue skies on Hilbre today, with many waders in full summer plumage. On the beach at least 40 Ringed Plover, over 80 Dunlin, 40 Curlew and hundreds of Oystercatchers. On the rocks around the island, at least 15 Whimbrel, 40 Turnstones, a few Redshanks and a single Common Sandpiper.

The Sandwich Tern flock has grown to over 200 birds, but no sign of any other terns today.
Highlights of the day were the first returning Wheatears of the autumn, with three on the west side, a single Willow Warbler, and perhaps most unexpected, a family party of six Shags. Shags do occur frequently at Hilbre, but I’ve only ever seen single birds.

After returning to the mainland today, I had a snack in the excellent Sands cafe in West Kirby, and then got my bike out of the car and headed off down the Wirral way cycle / footpath, and made it all the way to Inner Marsh Farm (via the Harp Inn at Little Neston!). By the time I returned to the car at West Kirby, I had covered 23 miles on the bike. En route I saw about 15 Little Egrets (two with my pint at the Harp!), a Green Sandpiper at Inner Marsh Farm and best of all, a Hobby at Parkgate.


Four of the six Shags


Various.

No comments:

Post a Comment