Tuesday 9 June 2009

Hilbre Island - Paddyfield Warbler

Paddyfield Warbler 1
Little Egret 4

I got to the island at 7pm and was amazed to find no other birders present for a bird which is a 1st for Cheshire and a stonking bird anywhere on this side of the country. I set myself up on top of the old air raid shelter and waited. Very little of anything was moving, except the odd Linnet a few Meadow Pipits and singing Wren. On the beach in the background, 4 Little Egrets fished the channel.

Then suddenly, just as I was starting to feel chilly, a small warbler flew and landed on top of a Blackthorn bush - Paddyfield Warbler! For a few seconds it was in full view and I could clearly see the dark lores, pale supercilium and it almost seemed to have a dark cap as well. Then it was gone, lost in the bracken and Blackthorn. Well worth the effort! My first ever Paddyfield Warbler, and my 100th species on Hilbre!

If anybody goes to see this bird, by far the best viewing position is from the top of the old air raid shelter. Apart from the fact that the fenced off trapping area (where the bird is) is private, you have virtually no chance of seeing the bird if you enter this area, because the undergrowth is so dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment