Sunday 19 April 2009

Hilbre Island - a great day for migration

Once again I was on Hilbre at 7am, and conditions were perfect for migration. A gentle south easterly breeze and enough mist to make North Wales invisible from the island. I knew that it was going to be good, because long before I had even reached the island I had Lesser Redpoll, White Wagtail, Sand Martins and Whimbrel. All of these birds were seen or heard as I walked across the sands to the island.

I hadn't been on the island more than a few minutes, before a whistle from the observatory summoned me over, to discover that a superb male Redstart had been caught. A real stunning bird to start the day!

Around the island there were many Meadow Pipits, about five White Wagtails, and there was clearly a passage of finches, with about 30 Linnets, 20 Goldfinches, 15 Lesser Redpolls and a single Siskin seen. Overhead I heard two Tree Pipits, and then saw a third from the observatory building.

Out at sea Gannets plunge dived into the sea and I saw perhaps 20 Sandwich Terns and a single female Common Scoter.

Star bird of the day though was a stunning male Ring Ouzel which I saw very well twice from the observatory building. A Fieldfare came in off the sea, and there was a steady passage of hirundines, mainly Swallows, but also about 15 Sand Martins and one House Martin. On the shore, the seven Whimbrel were still present.

Once again, thanks to the observatory guys for making me so welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment