Saturday 21 March 2009

Hilbre Island - an early start

Little Gulls 30
Merlin 1 female
Pale-bellied Brent Goose 110
Red-breasted Merganser 15
Common Scoter 1
Wheatear 1 female
Goldcrest 10
Gannet 15

A fabulous morning at Hilbre, I was on the island at 7am and it was well worth it. The first thing I noticed was that there had clearly been a fall of Goldcrests, with three flying around one of the heligoland traps, and at least another seven across the island. Two were on rocks feeding amongst the sea weed, and one nearly landed on my shoe it was so close. Other small passerines included at least 30 Meadow Pipits (many displaying), two Linnets, two singing Wrens, a Dunnock, a Robin, a couple of Pied Wagtails and best of all my first Wheatear of the year, a female oenanthe on the north end.

Around the island there were upto 100 each of Turnstone and Curlew, and at least 10 Purple Sandpipers (see photo). The Pale-bellied Brent Goose flock had dropped slightly to 110 birds.

A regular feature at this time of year is the passage of Little Gulls, and today I counted at least 30 passing the island, with 16 in one flock. Also out at sea at least 15 Gannets, mainly adults, which entertained me with some spectacularly close fly pasts. Sea ducks included a male Eider, a few Common Scoter and 15 Red-breasted Mergansers.

As I watched the Little Gulls from the north end of the island, suddenly I heard the swoosh of wings, and a Merlin missed me by inches as it chased after a Pied Wagtail. This was the first Merlin I have seen on the island, and it capped a really good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment