Friday 2 January 2009

A few thousand gulls too many

Prescot Reservoirs

Great Northern Diver 1 juv.
Herring gull 3000+
Tufted Duck 140
Goldeneye 23

There were horrendous numbers of gulls of the reservoirs today, mainly Herring Gulls and Black-headed.

Moore

Tawny Owl 1
Willow Tit 1
Gulls 1000's

I went to Moore to try to see the Bitterns, but for some reason I just can't explain I ended up in a freezing cold hide working my way through 1000's gulls, and as expected, I left with nothing. I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't just done the same at Prescot this morning, with equally fruitless results.

As usual, the day I went was the worst day in living memory for finding rare gulls at Moore, despite the fact that the water and ice were covered in the commoner species. I actually don't believe that Caspian Gull exists. At least 20% of all adult Herring Gulls have white heads in winter, 5% have dark eyes, almost all of them have pear shaped heads and lots of them have long bills (especially when the feathers on their heads are wet). Long legs, the way they sit in the water and slightly darker mantles are completely subjective and the latter dependant on many things, especially the light conditions at the time.

Why can't we just be happy with Herring Gull, LBBG, GBBG, Iceland and Glaucous Gulls? We don't need any more species.....

No comments:

Post a Comment